Rich, creamy, and made without dairy or artificial sugar, our Healthy Shamrock Shake Recipe puts a good-for-you spin on the traditional green drink.
It’s hard to say no to a rich and creamy milkshake. But all that dairy and sugar is a one-way ticket to a stomach ache — plus, those ingredients aren’t great for your overall health. Luckily, we have a solution. Introducing our Healthy Shamrock Shake recipe, a fruit-, veggie-, and protein-filled take on the classic green concoction that’s just as satisfying as the original.
Read more: Healthy-ish Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Shamrock Shake
- Wholesome ingredients. While this shake includes vegetables like spinach and peas, the addition of nutrient-rich fruits make it delightfully sweet like a traditional milkshake.
- It’s high in protein and fiber. Throwing in a handful of fruits and veggies increases the fiber count while protein powder makes this frothy indulgence filling and satisfying. Bonus: the combo of protein and fiber helps to better regulate your blood sugar.
- Completely dairy-free. Our version of a Shamrock Shake is one is 100 percent vegan, so anyone can enjoy it — even those that are lactose intolerant.
Extra Nutritious Ingredients to Add
- Make your shake mimic that classic neon green color by using a pinch of spirulina when blending. Spirulina is high in antioxidants like phycocyanin, which help to reduce chronic inflammation.
- If you’re not a fan of bananas, swap it out for half an avocado, half a frozen medium zucchini, and an extra date. This will help maintain the volume and creaminess.
- Add some extra texture. Top your smoothie with cacao nibs and hemp hearts for some healthy fats and chewy texture. The act of chewing helps to keep you feeling fuller longer.
Read more: A Guide to Plant-Based Milks
Healthy Shamrock Shake (Serves 1)
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1 large medjool date, pitted
- 6-10 leaves of mint or 2 drops of peppermint extract
- Non-dairy whipped cream
- Cacao nibs
- Add milk, spinach, protein powder, banana, peas, date, and mint leaves to a high-speed blender. (Adding the spinach with the liquid at the bottom will help it blend more smoothly so you don’t end up with chunks of spinach in your milkshake.)
- Blend on high until completely smooth and no chunks remain.
- Pour into a glass.
- Top with whipped cream and cacao nibs as desired.
- Add a reusable straw and get to sipping!
Read more: 7 Essential Antioxidant-Rich Foods
Did you try out our Healthy Shamrock Shake recipe? Share it with us by tagging @avocadogreenbrands on Instagram or Facebook. You can also follow Catherine @plantbasedrd for more delicious, nutritious recipes.