Our healthy carrot cake cookie recipe combines comforting spices, spring flavors, and nutritious ingredients for a delectable indulgence you can enjoy all season long.
Carrot cake is a springtime classic. And while you can’t make the delightful confection without nutrient-packed carrots, it’s a far cry from a healthy treat. The good news is, with a little experimentation and a few ingredient switches, we’ve created a better-for-you take on the spring staple. Introducing our Healthy Carrot Cake Cookie recipe.
Read more: Healthy-ish Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Why You’ll Love These Healthy Carrot Cake Cookies
- Wholesome ingredients. The main ingredients for this recipe are good-for-you add-ins that are probably already part of your healthy diet. Think carrots, walnuts, raisins, oats, and nut butter. But don’t worry — these cookies still feature the sweet and satisfying taste associated with carrot cake.
- Perfectly spiced. One of the best parts of carrot cake is its warm and comforting spices. Now, they’re in cookie form.
- Easy to make. All you have to do to whip up this springtime snack is place your main cookie ingredients in a food processor, add your mix-ins, and get ready to bake.
What Makes These Carrot Cake Cookies Healthier?
- Vegetables: Carrots are loaded with antioxidants like beta-carotene that help protect our skin and eyes. Even better, you can always add as many shredded carrots as desired.
- Walnuts: This heart-healthy fat loaded with omega-3s helps reduce inflammation and chronic issues like heart disease.
- Oats: If you make this recipe gluten-free, simply swap the rolled oats for the gluten-free version. Either way, you’ll get a lot of great soluble fiber that helps feed good gut bacteria and promotes cholesterol reduction.
- Nut Butter: Nut butters are packed with healthy fats, vitamin E, fiber, and a bit of protein and are a much better nutritional choice compared to butter or oil. We chose almond butter, but you can use cashew, hazelnut, or whichever you prefer.
Read more: The 5 Best Natural Peanut Butters
Carrot Cake Cookie Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
Make these cookies nut-free by swapping almond butter for sunflower seed butter and walnuts for pepitas.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the oats, carrots, sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, baking powder, spices, and salt in a food processor. Blend until a dough starts to form.
- Add chopped walnuts and raisins. Pulse a few more times in the food processor to combine with the batter.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop out the dough, roll into a dough ball and flatten it on a parchment lined baking tray. (Feel free to decorate the tops of the cookies with more raisins and walnuts if desired.)
- Place the tray in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray.
Read more: Protein-Rich Chickpea Cookie Dough Recipe
Did you try out our Healthy Carrot Cake Cookie recipe? Share it with us by tagging @avocadogreenbrands on Instagram or Facebook. You can also follow Catherine @plantbasedrd for more delicious, nutritious recipes.