This chocolate- and oat-filled delight is easy to prep, good-for-you, and will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Did you manage to get through the Girl Scout Cookie season without indulging? Whether you enjoyed a box (or five) already or have a few stored in your freezer for future use, we all deserve the flavors and comfort these cookies bring regardless of the season. And if you happened to miss out — I’ve got you covered.
Enter: Thin Mint Overnight Oats. The easy-to-prep breakfast (or snack!) features the cool and refreshing minty chocolate from this classic cookie rolled into a convenient recipe that tastes like dessert.
Why you need to make a jar of these overnight oats
- These oats are decadent, but still pack in a lot of nutrition. This overnight oats recipe will help get your day started on the right foot with a balance of fiber, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
- Super easy to prep day-of or for the week. I like to keep a couple of jars loaded with all the dry ingredients for the week and add in all the liquids the night before, so it’s ready to grab and go.
- Provides sustainable energy. This delightful concoction will keep you feeling satisfied and energized throughout the morning.
- Fiber: Found in plant-based foods like oats and chia seeds that help to keep your digestive tract running smooth and may help also reduce cholesterol.
- Plant-Based Omega 3s: Best known for their contribution to good brain and heart health. They also help reduce overall inflammation.
- Polyphenols: Special antioxidants found in compounds like fruits, vegetables, herbs, tea, and dark chocolate that may help reduce chronic disease risk.
Thin Mint Overnight Oats Recipe (makes one jar)
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- 2 drops of peppermint extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- In a jar or to-go container, add in your oats, cocoa powder, espresso powder, chia seeds, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Stir your dry ingredients together well, then add in your maple syrup, peppermint extract, and almond milk.
- Give your jar a really good mix, then seal it closed and place in the fridge for at least an hour, or overnight, to thicken and soften your oats.
Notes: You can enjoy your oats as-is or top with some slivered almonds and banana slices if desired.
This recipe is created by Plant Based RD, a registered dietitian who specializes in vegan nutrition.